Now that the holiday season is in full swing, your recent visit with Mom and Dad may have sparked some concern regarding their health and wellbeing at home. While you have a general idea that they need help, how can you be sure they need extra assistance with their day to day activities?
Here are 10 signs that may mean your loved one needs extra care:
- Not paying household bills on time
- Not recognizing the need for arranging or scheduling necessary household repairs and maintenance, like mowing the lawn
- Driving safely becomes an issue, with increases in traffic tickets and accidents
- Missing meals or not preparing meals, as well as old expired food in the fridge
- Declining personal hygiene i.e. poor oral hygiene, body odor, unshaven
- Lack of keeping up with household chores like laundry and cleaning
- Losing track of medications, missing doses and overdosing
- Unwillingness to leave the house to run errands or visit with friends
- Unable to get up and down steps; dizziness and falls have occurred
- Not making sound decisions that are likely to cause self harm or danger to others i.e. leaving the stove turned on
We know that the holidays can be an eye-opener for family members by showing that their aging loved ones may need extra assistance at home. If your loved one is showing any number of these signs, it may be time to look into your options, and know what questions to ask, especially when considering the services of a home care agency.
At Cypress HomeCare Solutions, we are passionate about providing the very best compassionate care that encourages the utmost independence at home for your aging loved ones. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact our trained solutions specialists at 602-264-8009 — we are here to help!