Developing dementia or Alzheimer’s disease doesn’t need to mean that life as you know it must cease. There are many ways to still enjoy life’s simple pleasures. Whether it’s family or a caregiver, there are ways to deal with the complications that Alzheimer’s or dementia can bring to an individual.
Quality of life is achievable when dealing with dementia. Especially from the early stages of dementia, people may look to withdraw from activities and life in general. But, it doesn’t have to be that way. There are ways to keep those with early-onset Alzheimer’s or dementia engaged.
What Kinds of Activities Can You Do for Those With Dementia?
- Because large crowds can be so overwhelming, it’s a good idea to keep activities relegated to small groups or specific family members.
- Practice routine household activities, such as setting the table or making the bed. A caring senior service will know just how to identify which specific tasks are appropriate given the stage of dementia.
- Plan activities around the interests of the individual. What things do they enjoy doing? What hobbies can they still partake in?
- What did they used to enjoy doing before the onset of dementia? They may still like making lists, or keeping files, or organizing drawers with quite a bit of success.
- Keep an eye on the times during the day when things go particularly well. Is it early in the morning or later in the afternoon? Big endeavors, such as getting dressed or bathing should be things to do at the same times every day.
- What favorite things do they like to do? If they always had a habit of reading a newspaper in the morning, they may still find enjoyment in this even now. What about a cup of coffee or tea? Is there a favorite breakfast that they could help you to prepare?
- Stay with the activities that your particular person feels good about doing. Everything you strive for should provide a sense of success and achievement, as opposed to frustration.
Good home care resources know how to help with dementia patients. When you look into affordable home care in Scottsdale, you’ll discover there are ways to make everyone’s life happy and worthwhile, even when times are challenging.