Daily affirmations nurture a positive attitude. They can be as simple as speaking blessings over your life, your relationships and even your body for physical health. They can be spoken aloud, or written out every day and posted in an area where they will be seen, such as on the bathroom mirror. Here are some examples of effective daily affirmations:
- “I am living the best years of my life.”
- “I am proud of living so long.”
- “Every day I contribute to the world. I have purpose.”
- “Every day I find happiness and comfort.”
- “I have the benefit of wisdom.”
- “I am wonderfully made.”
- “I have people who love me in my life.”
- “I have the time to cherish the people who matter to me.”
- “I will make a difference to someone today.”
- “My family gives me joy, purpose and hope.”
Daily affirmations may seem strange at first, but evidence links the practice of self-affirmation to improvements in health and well-being. They lower stress and boost self-esteem. You can find books of daily affirmations, either general or religion-based, or come up with your own. Just make sure the statements are positive.
For a fun spin on the activity, affirmation decks contain cards with positive messages and inspiring illustrations. You can make a ritual of picking out a card for the day. If you and your senior loved one are crafty, you can even make your own book or card deck. That way, you can personalize the affirmations to their unique talents and triumphs.
Empower your loved one to age in place. If you are a caregiver, take advantage of these and other tips from Cypress Home Care on caring for loved ones who remain in their homes.