While there are many options and services that cater to caregivers, only the best will have a support program. In a report about caregiving for people with dementia released this fall by the AARP’s Public Policy Institute, they list 10 qualities that only the best programs will have:
1. Principles are aligned with person- and family-centered care.
2. Programs are promoted, targeted and created for the family members who are most likely to benefit.
3. Program focuses on building relationships. They are very communicative, and staff is always available when needed.
4. Understand and embrace cultural differences.
5. Understand that every patient and family is different and will have different needs.
6. The support program for caregivers will offer a combination of support options. These programs will include education, skills training, counseling, and addressing problem solving.
7. Services are tailored to meet the specific concerns of caregivers.
8. Have very skilled workers and staff that can address all needs and concerns of caregivers.
9. Programs will be evaluated and changed to meet the changing needs of the caregiver.
10. Programs consistently will evaluate effectiveness and make adjustments to improve the outcomes when needed.
Here are just a few of the ways Cypress Homecare incorporates these best practices:
- We are incredibly focused on patient and family care as a whole.
- We continually offer programs for caregivers. We have numerous programs that are dedicated to specific areas of caregiving.
- We pride ourselves on our communication with caregivers. We are always available to answer questions and provide support.
- We understand that different cultures will require different forms of support for caregivers and have developed programs to address this. With our extensive experience, we understand that no two caregivers will be alike and have the same needs and have adapted our program accordingly.
More and more people in the United States are supporting their family members as they age. Our communities need resources to support families, and Cypress has been a beacon of support in the greater Phoenix community for years.