On Friday, October 13, Bob Roth, the Managing Partner of Cypress HomeCare and host of the Health Futures – Taking Stock in You Radio Show and Podcast, welcomed special guests from DUET to explore the critical topic of family caregiving in Arizona.
Family caregivers are the unsung heroes of America’s long-term care system, with over 53 million Americans providing care for adult or child family members with special health care needs. In the state of Arizona alone, approximately 1 million family caregivers selflessly offer their support.
While family caregiving can be a deeply rewarding experience, it also brings with it a set of unique challenges:
- Balancing Act: The delicate juggling of caregiver duties with work and raising a family.
- Burnout and Stress: The emotional and physical toll of providing round-the-clock care.
- Social Isolation: The loneliness that often accompanies the caregiving journey.
- Financial Hardship: Struggles stemming from lost wages and increased medical expenses.
- Lack of Training: The need for proper training in medical and nursing tasks.
- Emotional Strain: The pain of witnessing a loved one’s decline.
These challenges exact a heavy toll on caregivers’ own well-being, both physically and mentally. Recognizing this, it becomes imperative for family caregivers to access information, skills training, counseling, peer support groups, and respite care.
Thankfully, Arizona offers a valuable resource in DUET: Partners in Health & Aging, which has been supporting family caregivers for over four decades. DUET provides a range of services, including caregiver support groups, workshops, webinars, counseling, coaching, and respite care, as well as resources for grandparents raising grandchildren.
A significant event on DUET’s calendar is the upcoming free virtual Family Caregiver Symposium scheduled for October 18, 2023, from 9:00 AM to 11:30 AM (Arizona time).
This symposium promises valuable insights from renowned experts, such as:
- Dr. Aaron Blight: An international speaker on caregiving and aging, and author of the bestselling book “When Caregiving Calls.”
- Dr. Robert Wicks: Professor emeritus at Loyola University and the author of over 60 books on caregiving.
Dr. Blight and Dr. Wicks will share research-backed strategies to empower family caregivers, helping them build resilience, practice self-care, and find meaning in their caregiving journey. The event will also include a Q&A session.
The virtual format of the symposium makes it accessible to family caregivers not only in Arizona but also to those beyond the state’s borders. Attendees can join online from the comfort of their homes, eliminating the need to arrange respite care or leave their loved ones.
Caring for an aging, ill, or disabled family member is never easy, but resources like the DUET symposium are essential tools for equipping caregivers with knowledge and a supportive community. Attendance at this event could provide the inspiration and practical tips needed to be the best caregiver possible while maintaining their own health and well-being.
To register for the free Family Caregiver Symposium, visit DUETaz.org/symposium or call 602-274-5022. Remember, support is readily available, and you don’t have to embark on your caregiving journey alone!