While there are many options and services that cater to caregivers, only the best will have a support program. In a report about caregiving for people with dementia released this fall by the AARP’s Public Policy Institute, they list 10 qualities that only the best programs will have:
1. Principles are aligned with person- and family-centered care.
2. Programs are promoted, targeted and created for the family members who are most likely to benefit.
3. Program focuses on building relationships. They are very communicative, and staff is always available when needed.
4. Understand and embrace cultural differences.
5. Understand that every client and family is different and will have different needs.
6. The support program for caregivers will offer a combination of support options. These programs will include education, skills training, counseling, and addressing problem solving.
7. Services are tailored to meet the specific concerns of caregivers.
8. Have very skilled workers and staff that can address all needs and concerns of caregivers.
9. Programs will be evaluated and changed to meet the changing needs of the caregiver.
10. Programs consistently will evaluate effectiveness and make adjustments to improve the outcomes when needed.
Here are just a few of the ways Cypress HomeCare Solutions incorporates these best practices:
- We are incredibly focused on client and family care as a whole.
- We offer on-going training for our caregivers, family members of clients and community members through our on-site Joan S. Roth Caregiver Training Lab.
- We pride ourselves on our communication with caregivers. We are available 24/7 to answer questions and provide support.
- We understand that different cultures will require different forms of support for caregivers and take this into consideration when matching clients with caregivers. With our extensive experience, we understand that no two clients will be alike or have the same needs and so have adapted our client/caregiver matching process accordingly.
More and more people in the United States are supporting their family members as they age. Our communities need resources to support families, and Cypress has been a beacon of support in the greater Phoenix community for years.